Thursday 26 March 2020

Evaluation of music video




One thing I had a lot of fun making was the start of my music video, using adobe after effects to create short animations and sketches, which worked well and I'm happy how they turned out. However they took a lot longer then expected, as each sketch had to be done on a separate frame, which ended up in having to draw more than 30 different sketches just to complete 1 animation. Next time when working on a similar project, I would save time by planning better what i want to sketch beforehand, and instead of drawing a different sketch for each frame I would take intervals of 5-10 frames per sketch , as once the video is played they still look animated and actually are easier for people to see as they stay on the screen for longer. I did that in the 8:09 second into the video and made my editing a lot quicker.

Another thing I would improve is, if I'm editing a similar project, I would give myself more time to edit, as I would of liked to continue the patern of sketches throughout the music video, as it would of linked better and made more sense when watching.

When editing I also liked the idea of leaning towards the comedic side and making the video 'clumsy' and 'glitchy'  on purpose, by adding different after effects. Although I like how the effect turned out, I feel for a viewer watching it for the first time it may not make as much sense as the video is incomplete and the effect simply looks out of place.

In my music video I found a lot of things to be going wrong from the start, so I had to find quick solutions and adapt fast in the different situations.
The first issue I faced was my outdoor shooting day- after arranging the day as well as the 3 main locations for filming, Bedworth park, a small park in nuneaton and the Post office car park in Nuneaton I was planning on filming in Bedworth until 2.30pm, and film in Nuneaton for the rest of the day, however after just 30 minutes of filming it started raining and it didn’t stop for the rest of the day. Next time to avoid such complications I would check the weather reports beforehand and schedule 2 days of filming outdoors instead of 1 to make sure I'd get all the footage planned. If I was to redo this, I would definitely get as much footage as possible, and not try to rely on one day to finish all of my shooting.


When editing my music video, from my test shoots I knew, I wouldn’t be able to complete my initial plan of using 4 different 'personalities' on screen as when cloning the subjects have to be as far away from each other as possible, as when each subject is masked away on separate layers, if the subjects touch each other, the layers merge and the image looks poorly edited.













 I found that even after placing the subjects as far away from each other as possible, I could still see blurriness around the hands. Next time this could be avoided by placing each subject as far away from the camera as the space allows, as well as making the subjects moving as little as possible so they have enough space between them.



















When first testing the space I'd have for 'cloning', and space on the screen, the space would hardly fit more than 2 people at the same time, which made me realise I had to change my plan and have less people than I had planned.





 I also had to make sure I had two lights at all time when filming on the green screen, as each person had to be well lit individually on its part of the screen, so once cloned the whole picture would look well lit together , with no shadows at the back, which would of interfered with the editing the green screen out.













Even though the green screen turned out well, in the process of editing, I realised even though it looked like the green screen was one, they were 2 in fact from the two individual scenes I combined, therefore making it unable to edit as the clips were on top of each  other and every time i tried to edit them individually they would interfere  with each other and  distort the image.









I'm also not happy with some of the clips towards the end and how they don't match the lyrics of the song or are edited out of beat, or example the camera spin on 1:44 minutes, and how it appeared out of nowhere. This is due to the lack of footage on my side which made my sequence look out of order, and made the execution of my planned video impossible. To improve next time, I would make sure I have a clear plan and a timed graph from the beginning and use everything learned from this module to plan ahead better and use my time more wisely.


No comments:

Post a Comment